[Gimp-user] Question about XCF files

I'm running Gimp 2.8.4 on Ubuntu 13.04 Linux (64-bit) and I'm using it to open a XCF file I created back in 2009.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the version of Gimp that was used to create the XCF file.

Anyway, when I open this XCF file in Gimp 2.8.4, it opens fine and I can see the layers fine in the layers dialog window. However, when I use the text tool to try to edit one of the text layers, I'm unable to do so and the text tool doesn't seem to recognize the text layer as a text layer.

I would like to use the text tool to get the font and font color used for text in one of the text layers so I can use that same font and color for some new text I would like to add to the image.

Any ideas on why the text tool in Gimp 2.8.4 can't identify the text layers in my XCF file as text layers?

Thanks in advance!

Peace...

Tom

--