Re: [Gimp-user] Text Along Path Trouble

On 04/23/2013 09:26 PM, Astabeth wrote:

I have seen several recommendations for Inkscape here, but I am a high school
art teacher trying to teach my students to use GIMP, so an Inkscape solution
won't help me.  This is so frustrating because this was going to be their first
assignment where they have to have personal meaning rather than just using their
interests.

With GIMP 2.8 on a Linux Mint, this is a typical result for me when
doing 'text along path':

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/text-along-path.png

This is one of several test cases.  Whether the path is closed or
open, and whether or not it has acute angles, seems to make no
difference:  The GIMP decides "this many letters and not one more."
 In the example linked above, it stops at #17, in other tests it
went into the low 20s before stopping.

As you noted, we have seen reports of problems with putting text on
a path in the GIMP before.  As far as I can tell, this feature just
isn't ready to use.

We can't let a teacher go without resources, though.  Asking myself
 what the GIMP can do with text, that's way artsy and cool AND
incorporates meaningful text in a portrait, I thought of this:

http://pilobilus.net/xfer/Michael_J_Hammel_-_text_effect.png

The linked image illustrates a text effect included in this
collection of GIMP tutorials by Michael J. Hammel, originally
published in Linux Format magazine.  18 full articles in PDF format,
available here:

http://www.tuxradar.com/gimp

The image linked is a screen snap from the tutorial on text effects,
file name seems to be LXF110.tut_gimp.pdf

Another potential contender I ran across in a quick sweep of teh
interwebs:

http://www.gimpusers.com/tutorials/create-text-portrait

Sucks about the 'text on path' thing, but there's hope for salvaging
some of the underlying concept in other formats.

:o/

Steve