[Gimp-user] GSOC 2013 Computational Photography Proposal

Hi,

I am currently pursuing MS by Research in the field of computer vision and image processing at IIIT- Hyderabad, India. I am interested in working for GIMP organization this summer in a GSoC project.

Some of my own ideas:

a) Image denoising

I have found a latest research paper regarding this.

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~eslgastal/AdaptiveManifolds/Gastal_Oliveira_SIGGRAPH2012_Adaptive_Manifolds.pdf

b) Color2Gray

Visually important image features often disappear when color images are converted to grayscale. This algorithm reduces such losses by attempting to preserve the salient features of the color image. The Color2Gray results offer viewers salient information missing from previous grayscale image creation methods.

http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~leojia/papers/decolorization_iccp12.pdf

c) Domain Transform for Edge-Aware Image Processing (Non-Photorealistic Animation and Rendering)

The processing involves high-quality edge-preserving filtering of images (better than bilateral filter). The filter is applied on several image processing tasks including edge-preserving smoothing, Depth-of-field effects, stylization, detail enhancement, edge enhancement and pencil/color pencil sketch.

http://www.inf.ufrgs.br/~eslgastal/DomainTransform/Gastal_Oliveira_SIGGRAPH2011_Domain_Transform.pdf

d) Surface Extraction from Texture

http://www.cse.cuhk.edu.hk/~leojia/projects/texturesep/texturesep12.pdf

What are your views about this?

Best Regards,
Siddharth

--
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever - M K Gandhi