Re: [Gimp-user] Fonts, Windows 8 and GIMP 2.8.4

> Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 23:28:32 +0200
> From: ofnuts laposte net
> To: gimp-user-list gnome org
> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Fonts, Windows 8 and GIMP 2.8.4
>
> On 04/07/2013 10:49 PM, Linda Petersen wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I have been trying unsuccessfully for the past four hours to import
> > fonts into Gimp. They are in the Fonts directory. I can see them.
> > But when I launch GIMP and try to input fonts the only option I am
> > given is Sans.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated.
> > I am a new user to Graphics software, have a deadline coming up and
> > everything rests on being able to do text in a graphic.
> >
> > Any help would be wonderful. Thank you in advance.
> >

> What "Fonts" directory? Go to Edit/Preferences and expands "Folders" at
> the bottom and click on fonts. Is it one of the directories listed in
> the panel on the right?
>
> What is the extension of the files? TTF? OTF? Other?

Unfortunately it is not that simple.

For a quick compare/contrast, on my GIMP (2.8.4, Windows XP Pro) the "Fonts" folders listed in my GIMP preferences are:

C:\Documents and Settings\User\.gimp-2.8\fonts
C:\Program Files\GIMP 2.8\share\gimp\2.0\fonts

The first folder is empty.
The second folder doesn't even exist.

And yet I can use pretty much all the fonts on my OS (including one I generated myself via FontForge).

So it sounds like the problem with your GIMP is that it (for some reason) isn't actually detecting the fonts installed on your system -- typically those in the C:\Windows\Fonts directory.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com