Re: [Gimp-user] scanner works with linux

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html check this if you use
sane...
On Thursday, November 29, 2012 08:00:50 PM Jay Smith wrote:
On Thu, Nov 29, 2012 at 7:15 AM, Gracia M. Littauer <gracia yadtel net>

wrote:
anyone recomend any newer good Epson scanner that work with linux?

No, but I am using a couple "Epson Perfection 4490 Photo", probably as
old as what you have.  They work great on Ubuntu Linux (with some
tweaking of linux USB stuff due to the older Linux distribution we are
still using).

In any case, more importantly, we use the scanners through Hamrick's
VueScan Professional scanning software and love it!

   http://www.hamrick.com/

I have had questions about our scanning workflow, color calibration
questions, and selection of LARGE (11x17) format scanners.  I have asked
Ed Hamrick and he has always been quick to answer with very helpful
information.  For me, that alone is work the modest price of the
program.  [We ended up with a used/refurb Epson GT-10000 large format
scanner which is incredible (faster and better than the usual smaller
scanners even though it is a lot older).  Original price probably around
$5000 back in the day, but I found a used one for $400 -- plus delivery
by truck.]

Very importantly, Hamrick has a huge supported scanners list
    http://www.hamrick.com/vuescan/vuescan.htm#supported
that tells you (by specific scanner model if you want to check on one)
if it is "supposed" to work on "linux" (generically, at least).

I would not dream of doing the scanning work we do without VueScan.

I also found it extremely useful for our particular scanning work to
calibrate the scanners, using a 'target', which I obtained from a source
in Germany. Targets can be very expensive, but this one was only about
$30 as I recall -- the best and the best deal I was able to find.
VueScan does support use of the generated calibration file that is
created as result of calibration process.  [Now I just need to get
calibrating equipment for our monitors, but that is a lot more costly.]

Jay