[Gimp-user] Text Along Path GIMP 2.8.2

Hi,

GIMP is a great product. I have used it for over five years now and have enjoyed learning how to use it. I generally pick things up as I need them rather than sitting through tutorials A-Z style.

Recently I upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 to 12.10 and this automatically upgraded GIMP from 2.6 to 2.8.2.

A common tool I use in GIMP is "Text Along Path" for creating logos etc for my business.

Now, as I am sure you are aware, this is now broken in the latest release. I'm not sure if the fault lies with Ubuntu or GIMP but after two days of trying to get it to work I have decided to give up using GIMP as I can't even get the previous version to install. I have tried but to no avail (*.tar.bz2 files, babl errors - installed but still have errors, etc.).

I am usually pretty stubborn but I am throwing in the towel here. You see the computer I use is for the business and I have databases running that I don't want to have back up and reinstall. I am pretty sure that if I did a new install of Ubuntu 12.04 or maybe even 12.10 I'll be able to get GIMP running WITH "Text Along Path" supported. Unfortunately this isn't an option right now.

So in the mean time good-bye, sayonara, arrivederci, salut, ciao, au revoir, and good luck with the updates. Let me know when the hole is patched and not some over complicated fix that only works for a handful of systems.

One question: WTF happened on this latest release? (or should I be directing this towards Ubuntu?) It surprises me that we are now 1 week in to November and there hasn't been an update yet and the bug has been closed in the bug reporting system.

Take care,