[Gimp-user] Install 2.8 alongside 2.6 in windows?

The release notes for 2.8 I found suggest that it isn't possible to install 2.8 alongside 2.6 in Windows (7 x64 in my case) at least using the pre-built windows installer?

Reason for asking is that there are a number of 2.6 plug-ins I need, and looking at the GIMP plug-in repository few indicate 2.8 compatibility. So I would need to test them myself but if they don't work I would go back to 2.6, at least for some tasks.

scott s.
.