Re: [Gimp-user] Why I went back from GIMP 2.8 to 2.6.x

On 06/30/2012 11:54 AM, John Coppens wrote:
On Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:19:13 +0400
Alexandre Prokoudine <alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:

Why not do a _real_ poll on the opinion of the users re: the new
'save feature'?

I have not seen the new "save" function yet - I use the GIMP for
daily production work and I find it advantageous to stay a little
bit behind the curve on new versions:  Let any stray bugs get
squashed, let the community plugins catch up somewhat, and let new
howto docs start to show up before switching over.

Even so, count my vote in favor of the new feature.

I do not "need" control-s to automatically save as XCF, but it
happens to be consistent with the way I nearly always work with
images:  Build it in the editor's native format, export the finished
product in the scale/format/etc. as required for publication.
Vector editors, sound editors, video editors, desktop publishing
packages, and even word processing programs (export to PDF for
distribution) work this way.

If the new feature makes new users "think about" file formats and
electronic document control early in their learning curve, so much
the better.  Their work will be more reliable and their file
management skills will be better for it.

:o)

Steve