Re: [Gimp-user] gimp definition

On 07/23/2012 05:37 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
On Mon, Jul 23, 2012 at 9:29 PM, Enda wrote:
The word gimp is defined as:

a physically disabled or lame person.
a feeble or contemptible person.

The program was first called The GIMP, and now is called GIMP to be less
offensive; now should a letter be dropped, either GIM or IMP?

No

GIMP is an acronym.  It first stood for General Image Manipulation
Program.  Later it got a new license, and the acronym now stands for
GNU Image Manipulation Program.  Whether to call it GIMP or The GIMP
is a matter of context and personal preference.

& BTW, I have been using it for a decade or so, and the user
interface has never given me a moment's trouble.  I think it is one
of the most efficient UIs I have ever encountered on a complex program.

The other day I saw a copy of the latest version of the GIMP running
on a Windows 7 box and the interface was horribly ugly.  I think
that's because the desktop theme was bleeding over into the GIMP
interface.  If I am ever forced to use that OS, the first thing I
will do is search for 20 minutes to find the configuration menu in
question, and switch to a "classic" theme to make the whole
interface less ugly and confusing.

Fortunately I don't anticipate ever using a Microsoft OS again.
Thank God - and Linus Torvalds and Richard Stallman - for Linux.

:o)

Steve