[Gimp-user] Subject: Re: Need Gimp DPI increased

Need Gimp DPI increased

>I approached a canvas printer with this GIMP file and they claimed that my Gimp file was now too small (25cm x 12 cm) and too low res >for the 300 dpi I needed for a quality printed canvas image of 200cm x 140 cm.
>
> Please can someone assist me to get this GIMP file DPI up to be able to print the image large format?

IF you say that the final image is 200cm x 140cm that equals 2 metres by 1.4 metres. I would suggest creating a new document in Gimp measuring this size (200cm x 140cm) and instead of 300dpi to have the new document at 96dpi (150dpi max, though the file size will be much bigger)

Once you have this new document you should then import the xcf file into the new document that you have just created and resize the imported file to fit your gimp canvas accordingly (I am very cautious of resizing an image too many times)

If you are doing it as a glicee print then this should suffice.
Perhaps you can have him/her show you the print as it passes through.

Also
>How big is your current image (in pixels, since that's the only thing
>that counts)?

900px x 572px is much too small an image for that size print.

In terms of printing, the actual size in cm or mm is what really counts and not the pixels.
Usually the hight your dpi the better, but because you have such a very large image it could bomb out in the ripping and spooling process making things difficult and the waiting time to get your print so much longer. 96dpi is the least any printer will accept.

Happy Gimping
Judah