Re: [Gimp-user] Gimpshop.com

On 07/12/2012 01:39 PM, Tom Williams wrote:
On 07/12/2012 10:10 AM, Vu Le wrote:
Hi all,

I have an urgent matter I want to bring to your attention. If you
can look into this and confirm, it would be great.

Yesterday, one of our employees downloaded the Windows version
from Gimpshop.com. Our IT team alerted us to a trojan horse
infection. See below:

Classification:

Trojan Horse Infection

Worthy of notice:  The trojan in question is not a trojan, it is a
worm.  It resides on cracked web servers.  There is no indication
that the Gimpshop installer itself is infected.

LilyJade is a browser hijacker that can take control of all the
"major brands" of browser.  Apparently it only works on Microsoft
platforms, which may be why it is being called a "virus."

For a moment there I thought that the GIMP was getting so popular
that some crackers thought it was worth the effort to break into a
site hosting a minor variant of it, to plant a rigged version.
Alas, no such "luck."

:o/

Steve