Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp newbie trying to get a job done.

Hi,

one final answer: If you have to process a lot of files I would
recommend you to wirte a script, especially if the same tasks have to be
performed very often.
GIMP-standard-scripts are written in scheme. I prefer perl-GIMP. If I
can help you with this, let me know.

Bernd

Gary Aitken schrieb:
Hi Brent,

For painting, try this:

Once you have the area selected, by whatever means:

Create a new layer containing only the selected areas,
with a transparent background in other areas:
  Edit/Copy (ctrl-C on windows)
    This will copy everything in the selection (green areas, roads, etc)
  Create a new layer.
    Make sure "Transparent" is selected for background type when
    creating it.
    The layer will become the currently selected layer
  Edit/Paste (ctrl-V on windows)
  Click on the eyeball of original background in the layers dialog
    The background will disappear;
    you will be left with only your new layer being visible.
    The transparent parts will be a grey checkerboard.
  At this point, nothing is selected.

Select everything except the transparent area.
  Click on the "Select by Color" tool
  Uncheck the "Select transparent areas" check box in the tool's options
  Set the threshold to 255
  Click anywhere in the image not on the transparent background.
  The selection will be outlined with an
    alternating black-and-white, blinking line.

Fill the selection with the color you want:
  Select the color you want to use:
    Double-click on the foreground color
      (upper square, usually black, in lower left corner of the toolbox)
    A dialog for choosing colors should appear.
      Note the box which shows "current" and "old" color
      Tweak the sliders or the color choice tool (object in left square)
        to get the color you want shown as the "current" color
      Click ok.
    Note the upper square showing the foreground color in the toolbox
      should now have the color you want to paint with.
  Click on the bucket-fill tool
    Make sure "FG color fill" is selected in the tool's options
    Make sure "Fill whole selection" is selected in the tool's options
    Click anywhere in the selection.
      It should all change to a solid color with the new color;
      transparent areas, outside the current selection, should still
      show a gray checkerboard.
  If you want the colored part to be partially transparent,
    Use the "Opacity" slider for the layer.

Save the result.

If you find the final area covers more than you thought it would,
it is probably because the original selection contained stuff
you weren't aware of.
This will happen if you leave any of "Anti-aliasing" or "Feather
edges" or "Select transparent areas" or "Sample merged" checked
when making your original selection.

Gary