Re: [Gimp-user] Gimp newbie trying to get a job done.

On 01/25/2012 08:56 AM, Brent Shifley wrote:

Morning,

                I have been using your app extensively since
November.  I have come up with a real need to perform in Gimp, but
I do not know if Gimp can do it.

                What I am trying to do is import a PDF that
contains a graphic of radiation patterns from RF towers, along
with all roads and other geographical data.

You might want to try extracting the images from your PDF file.  If
you are lucky, the image you want is stored as a layer in the PDF
file and if so, you can get a pristine copy of it.  Tools to look at
for this might include:

http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/
http://tinyurl.com/pdf-extract

To import pdf to the GIMP you need a package called Ghostscript:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ghostscript/  If all goes to plan,
once this is installed you should be able to drag and drop PDF files
into the GIMP.  You should get a dialog that asks you to select a
page and specify the size and resolution of the image file you are
creating.

Once imported, I want to remove all of the roads and unwanted data
and keep the radiation pattern.  The radiation pattern is in 1
color that dominates the image, and “covers” most of the other
unwanted info, almost as a 50% transparency.

Here things get "interesting."  Without seeing the actual image it
is difficult to prescribe a solution with confidence.  It would be
helpful to see the PDF file - can you provide a link to it?

I then want to export the radiation pattern, and use it in Google
Earth.  Additionally, where the radiation pattern is not, have it
become completely transparent

I'm not sure what you mean by "use it in Google Earth."

:o)

Steve