[Gimp-user] Help with colouring book stamp type images

Thanks Seth -
Candice

I've done this for pictures of my family - my daughter loves coloring us.
It works best on pictures without a lot of noise to them, but my "recipe"
assuming a flattened (1 layer) image is:

1) Blur->Selective Gaussian Blur - use parameters to get rid of details but
keep main subject sharp
2) Colors->Desaturate (I usually use Average, but not sure it matters)
3) Edge-Detect->Difference of Gaussians with about 8/33 as the 2 radiuses
gets me some basic lines that work good for this on SLR-size photos, use
smaller for values near the same ratio for smaller pictures.  Goal is to
get an outline of the salient features only.
4) Colors->Levels... to make sharp black lines
5) Blur slightly if necessary
6) Save As.. & Print
7) Open box of crayolas and go nuts

If you want to do more of a fake-crayon drawing to wow your friends, change
the levels step to have very light grey output instead of dark black; then
trace the light grey with heavy crayon before coloring in/shading with
lighter shades.  As a bit of warning, eyeballs and cheekbones are amazingly
hard to get right!

Happy GIMPing,

Seth Burgess