[Gimp-user] Help with colouring book stamp type images

Hi there again

I want to make colouring book pictures for my students from photographs of themselves (want to see kids get
excited about something - give them a picture of themselves to colour in).  Right now I am using the cartoon
filter, desaturating the image and then painstakingly selecting by colour, each greyscaled set of pixels and
then cutting them so that in effect, the image becomes a traced black and white image.  I am wondering if
there is an easier way to do this - I have tried using the threshold and levels filters - but I find that it
makes the image too pop-arty, like those Che Guevara type T-shirt graphics.  Ideally I want to literally make
the image look like colouring book picture or a stamp. Is there an easier way to do that without having to
pick and delete the greyscaled parts of the image? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Candice

--
NoviceGimper (via gimpusers.com)