-----Original Message-----
From: gimp-user-list-bounces gnome org
[mailto:gimp-user-list-bounces gnome org] On Behalf Of Partha Bagchi
Sent: Friday, January 06, 2012 3:12 PM
To: gimp-user-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Uninstalling Gimp crashes computer

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 1:04 PM, Ofnuts <ofnuts laposte net> wrote:
On 01/06/2012 06:20 PM, Marci Davis wrote:

My 11-year old daughter installed Gimp on our laptop.  Shortly after,
we started having trouble with speed and resolution.  Gimp will not
open, nor can we uninstall it.  In fact, when I try, it crashes the
computer.  Any suggestions?

There are two reputable places to get Gimp Windows installers:  the
gimp-win project on sourceforge (http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/) for
the 2.4 & 2.6 versions and Partha's site for 2.7 (http://partha.com/).
Everything else is a bit suspiscious, and could have included unwanted
software (trojan or else). Or it's a mere chronological coincidence
and Gimp isn't implied (if you let your 11-yo install anything on your
computer, goes know what else got installed).

As far as I remember the Gimp Windows installation is all under the
Gimp installation tree (no DLLs copied to Windows directories) and it
doesn't set anything in the registry, so erasing the installation tree
may be sufficient to uninstall it completely.

My version comes with an installer which you will not copy anything to the
Windows directory. Also, to uninstall, simply go to the control panel, and
uninstall.

Partha