Re: [Gimp-user] scanning images

This is not actually a GIMP question, Scangear is its own separate utility.  (I have an HP scanner and its scan utility is called PrecisionScan.  Every scan utility works slightly different.) Still, have you searched Scangear's help files and/or documentation for the option to change your scan resolution?

In your scan utility, the box you click and drag over the scan glass is precisely meant for "cropping" the image -- it specifies what areas you want your scanner to actually scan.  Very useful if you want to just scan a small portion of the entire scanner surface (because the source image is small, or if you just want to "test" the final scan without doing the whole thing at once).  Your scan utility won't let you "pad" out to sizes larger than the scan glass -- you do that with your image editor after scanning (e.g. GIMP).  The actual scan resolution should be a separate option from the scan/crop area.

-- Stratadrake
strata_ranger hotmail com