[Gimp-user] dotted areas, how to erase (or change)

I've got a problem editing an image with a dotted background in it. By 'dotted', I mean an array of small
evenly spaced black dots on a white background.

I've tried the fuzzy select tool which kind of works. It fills in the white space with the color I want but
leaves the dots untouched. I want to get rid of the dots.

The image has a lot of rectangles containing text (these are not dotted) on this dotted background so using
the select tool would be a real chore.

Any suggestions would be most welcome. Thanks

--
mamboze (via gimpusers.com)