Re: [Gimp-user] why no compiled version for Ubuntu 11.10

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 05:40:44AM +0100, mamboze wrote:
Ok, I'm running Ubuntu 11.10 and I have GIMP 2.6.11  I well understand
that this is the version currently available from the Ubuntu Software
Center and doing a "sudo apt-get install gimp" tells me I have the latest
version already installed. So I think that kind of covers points 1 and 2
in the above.

And while we're talking about 'basic' facts, what I was commenting on was the
'basic'  fact that while users on other platforms have access to GIMP 2.8
binaries, Ubuntu users (particularly 11.10) do not. Why?

Because that's the version of Gimp that's tested and built with that
version of the operating system. If you want a newer version of Gimp, use a
newer Ubuntu or a faster-moving Linux.

Or, if you're feeling adventurous, you could enable a PPA.