[Gimp-user] why no compiled version for Ubuntu 11.10

I find it strange that while compiled (binaries) of GIMP are provided for Mac
and Windows users, Ubuntu users are rather abruptly advised to compile from
source themselves. I can do this I suppose with some effort but the question I
have is, why the discrimination against Ubuntu and other Linux users? Do I need
to remind you guys that a lot of support for GIMP has come from the open source
community?

--
mamboze (via www.gimpusers.com/forums)