Re: [Gimp-user] why no compiled version for Ubuntu 11.10

On Tue, Dec 11, 2012 at 05:13:49AM +0100, mamboze wrote:
I find it strange that while compiled (binaries) of GIMP are provided for Mac
and Windows users, Ubuntu users are rather abruptly advised to compile from
source themselves. I can do this I suppose with some effort but the question I
have is, why the discrimination against Ubuntu and other Linux users? Do I need
to remind you guys that a lot of support for GIMP has come from the open source
community?

As much as I'd like to tell you "Hey, switch to Fedora, because we've got
it", the basic fact is that:

 1. So does Ubuntu: https://apps.ubuntu.com/cat/applications/gimp/

and

 2. The gimp docs clearly tell you how to install it for multiple Linux
    distributions. http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

The fundamental difference here isn't that Windows and Mac get special
treatment. Instead, it's that with most Linux distributions, it's *built
in*.