Re: [Gimp-user] GIMP is GREAT!

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 05:16:24PM +0200, maderios wrote:

Hi Alexandre

Really ? In 1987, "digital photography"  didn't exist... We
(photographers) were using color slides, and the contrast was a big
problem... Easier with negative but useless for commercial use.
Then, 1990 years, some colleagues began using P$$op for editing and
archiving their photos. It was the beginning.....

"Thomas renamed his program Photoshop and worked out a short-term
deal with scanner manufacturer Barneyscan to distribute copies of
the program with a slide scanner"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adobe_Photoshop#Early_history

It was used in the printing industry, PrePress long before Photographers
started using it. That was what kept us busy in the scanning department
during the late 80s & 90s.

Really Wikipedia is a great resource, however it's not definitive. If
you go to about Photoshop you'll still see the Knoll name in the
credits, so I'll take the originators word over Wikipedia, thank-you very
much.