Re: [Gimp-user] Mac OSX 10.6.8 - GIMP 2.6.11

Hi, jfrazierjr,

On 11/10/11 9:51 AM, jfrazierjr nc rr com wrote:

---- Ken Springer<snowshed1 q com>  wrote:
On 11/7/11 3:03 AM, John Thurgood wrote:
I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot get it to
  >  operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?

To paraphrase The Rolling Stones, "We can't get no, satisfaction."

At my next Mac User Group meeting, we'll be having a presentation on Mac
graphics software.  I'll be noting the lack of interest from the Gimp
community in providing assistance.

A year or so ago, I couldn't get 2.6 to work under Win 7 Home Premium,
either.

FWIW, I've located another open source editing program, Seashore.
Appears to be less powerful than Gimp, but it will do what I need.

Sorry for your "perceived" lack of response, but I don't have a Mac, so really can't help much.
Likewise, I have no proof, but would expect that most of the users on this list are
*nix or Windows users.

Regarding the number of *nix and Windows users, that wouldn't surprise me at all. But one would think there would be more than there apparently are. :-(

Also note, that while you give a "bit"(and by that, I mean a tiny bit) more information,
the OP said "I have downloaded the photographic processing GIMP but cannot
get it to operate in my Mac computer. Can anybody help please?" to which a response
was made less than a day later saying to the effect of "hey, you did not give us
anywhere NEAR enough information to help you" and yet the OP has made no response.

As I told another user who wrote me a private email, there's nothing more to give, sadly. If there was, I'd have posted everything I see to help solve the problem. 'Tis not my first day in the barrel with software not running. Slightly OT, but a month ago I managed to stump MS's tech support with a problem.

Also note that since GIMP does not create binaries for any OS, we have no idea HOW you
or the OP installed GIMP.If you installed via a binary distribution, the creator is probably
the person to whom your requests for assistance should originate first.  The OP does not even
say that much... we have no idea if he downloaded a binary install package from somewhere OR
if he downloaded the source code and just does not know any better that he needs to compile...
again, we just don't know because his request for help was FAR to vague.

I did not compile any binary, that's above my head, and an area of computing that used to interest me, but I'm burned out on that aspect of computing. I simply wish to install and use the software.

Typically, such
issues (as noted by another reply) are due to missing dependencies that YOU will need to
fulfill, and sometimes, a person who builds an install rarely does so on a "fresh" build
and thus they may have some such dependencies already pre-installed(such as the a fore mentioned
X11 that Mac no longer installs by default.. or at least that is my understanding...which could
very well be wrong!!!!) or they installed for some other reason and did not know that it was a
dependency(or even a->b->c->d->e for that matter!).

X11 seems to be an interesting situation. I find posts stating it is automatically installed, others say it isn't, others say it depends on which version of OS X. I even found one that said X11 development at Apple has been stopped.

As with most things you find today on the web, there seems to be no way to accurately determine the veracity of any of the statements. And, it doesn't seem to be worth the effort to search the maker's forums, as usually the support there is just from other users. No official representation from Apple, MS, and others. :-( It's no wonder that people get confused. :-(

> As with just aboutI know every time I rebuilt my machine,
I have to spend probably 1-2 hours installing all of the dependencies "before" I can compile
the actual GIMP package.

Avoiding having to do things like this is why I moved to Apple from Windows. The Mac world isn't perfect in this area, but much better IMO.

What I do know is that I have seen a site dedicated to GIMP on Mac (they have the binary install
package), and I would highly expect your "install/error" issues to get far more traction
there than this list which is much more general and targeted toward GIMP functionality.

The Gimp home page gives you a link to that site, and that is what I was reading. But there's no apparent update to the home page in the last year, so I plead guilty to not checking that site out further. Perhaps Gimp could be clearer on the Gimp home page or elsewhere that there is no official connection between the two projects. I am assuming there is no official connection.

But, I've found Seashore. It installed and ran without any problems, and I believe it will do the simple image editing things I want/wish to do, so I'm going to stick with it for now.

In the private email I received, apparently I gave that writer the impression I was angry. That isn't the right adjective. :-) The correct adjectives would be frustration and disappointment. Adjectives that apply to other open source products I've tried to use as well.

All of that being said, thanks for the reply.  :-)

--
Ken Springer

"All progress depends upon the unreasonable person."
George Bernard Shaw

"Cheap prices make for cheap goods; cheap goods make for
cheap men; and cheap men make for a cheap country!"
President William McKinley

http://www.greeleynet.com/~wordwork/airpage.htm