Re: [Gimp-user] Scan

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 09:27:22 -0500
Patrick Shanahan <ptilopteri gmail com> wrote:

* Tom Cranston <thomas w cranston gmail com> [12-20-11
02:41]:
On earlier versions of Gimp, up to Ver 2.6.8 you can use
SCSI scanner. No fooling around getting drivers, etc.

I have been running Gimp on different versions of Linux.
That might be why I did not have too fool around hunting
down and installing drivers.

On 2.6.8, (Ubuntu 10.04)I can scan:

File - Create - XSane - Device dialog

On earlier Gimp versions it was:

File - Acquire - XSane - Device dialog

It might be a matter of semantics as to whether or not
Gimp does the scanning, but I have always been able to
start a scan w/SCSI from Gimps File Menu.

Not a matter of semantics but fact.  Gimp *can* interface
with other programs to provide an interface for other
functions, scanning.

But you have provided your *own* hint to the solution.
Doesn't "XSane" in your examples give you a clue?
Install xsane in your present distro and use the distro's
setup application to setup your scanner.

Your lack of scanning ability probably stems from using a
"LiveCD" which is space crippled/doesn't include xsane.

--
(paka)Patrick Shanahan       Plainfield, Indiana,
USA      HOG # US1244711 http://wahoo.no-ip.org

Xsane is already installed in the distro, It can be
accessed via the command line:

sane-find-scanner

Gimp 2.6.11 however does not list it under it's menu
options like it used to.

I was using the live CD because I wanted see if I liked the
distro. I did not want to go to the trouble of installing
it  only to find that I did not like it.

I was able to run the scanner from an older version of Gimp
on another live distro (Knoppix)

Tom