Re: [Gimp-user] Scan

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011 01:54:47 -0500
Frank Gore <gore projectpontiac com> wrote:

On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 12:55 AM, Tom Cranston
<thomas w cranston gmail com> wrote:
How do I get Gimp 2.6.11 to work w/my SCSI scanner? I am
presently running Xubuntu 11.10 Live CD. CentOS 5 s
installed on my HDD. It's version of Gimp runs my SCSI
scanner.

I'm pretty sure Gimp doesn't do any scanning. You need to
use an external software to scan, then save as an image,
and open that image with Gimp. Xsane works fine for this,
I've used it many times. But first you need to get the
scanner setup under Ubuntu (xsane doesn't load scanner
drivers for you). Good luck finding the proper driver for
a SCSI scanner. But that discussion is way outside the
scope of Gimp.

--
Frank Gore
www.ProjectPontiac.com

I have been running Gimp on different versions of Linux.
That might be why I did not have too fool around hunting
down and installing drivers.

On 2.6.8, (Ubuntu 10.04)I can scan:

File - Create - XSane - Device dialog

On earlier Gimp versions it was:

File - Acquire - XSane - Device dialog

It might be a matter of semantics as to whether or not Gimp
does the scanning, but I have always been able to start a
scan w/SCSI from Gimps File Menu.

Tom