Re: [Gimp-gui] UI also for nonexperts would be helpful

On Sat, Feb 18, 2017 at 11:45 PM, Nick Levinson wrote:

Occasional users, not just newbies, are probably a large part of your user
base. I'm an occasional user and it's frustrating to use GIMP 2.8.16 on
openSuse 13.2 Linux (kept evergreen) for an hour and still get nothing done.
Yet, I propose preserving all of the expert-level capabilities GIMP now
offers.

Hello, Nick. Jehan replied to most of your concerns. I'll cover the rest :)

--- There's no color picker (the kind that shows all of the colors so I can
click on a colored pixel for exactly the color I want and maybe also see a
numerical description of its components for future use) obvious in the user
interface and I have to find and use some color feature that achieves the
same thing but without seeing all of the colors even if the dialog offers a
preview and the preview option is checkmarked on, and most color features
apparently don't support choosing a color from anything like a fully-visual
display. If I find it, the next time I need it I don't remember where it was
and relying on the menus to tell me is hopeless. (The kind that shows only
3-6 solid patches and tells me to enter numbers for my desired shade is not
much use unless I'm online using someone else's website to find possible
choices.)

I'm sorry, but you completely lost me there. I'm not even sure which
part of the user interface you are talking about.

But given what little I managed to understand, here are a few things
you might find useful:

1. 'Windows -> Dockable DIalogs -> Pointer' opens a window where you
can look at pixel's components in various color models. This is for
the pixel right under the mouse pointer (or Wacom stylus, if you have
one).

2. You can create you own custom color palettes and use them. See
https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-palette-dialog.html.

3. Since you are on Linux, I'd suggest having a go at Gpick. It's a
rather versatile color picker. What's more: you can drag any of its
color widgets and drop it onto any color widget in GIMP. And Gpick
remembers palettes across session which is rather handy.

compromises. I wanted to make a picture frame as if lit from an angle, but
settled on an unlit frame instead.

Are you by any chance referring to this filter?

https://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/plug-in-lighting.html

Alex