Re: [Gimp-gui] GIMP Theme UI now and future.

El mar, 26-01-2016 a las 15:17 -0500, Elle Stone escribió:

As Gez, Sven, and myself have pointed out, the color of the
immediate
image surround matters a great deal because it influences the
appearance
of the image. What actually constitutes the image surround depends
on
the user's particular "at the moment" setup: It might be the desktop
itself in MWM with a shrink-wrapped image, or the canvas padding, or
the
theme itself if the image takes up enough of the screen.

Well, in the case of shrink-wrapped floating windows on a desktop
background this discussion becomes moot as you can't predict what kind
of background the user chose.
Somebody knowing what she's doing would have a neutral background with
a suitable luminosity for her needs, but others could have a colorful
picture with flowers and kitten :-)

Maximized floating windows are likely to show some padding color when
they're zoomed out to fit.

The "paper white" values that I gave for various printer profiles
only
had the purposes of establishing that "paper white" is not the same
as
100% monitor white and for suggesting the maximum Lightness for even
the
Lightest theme shouldn't be 100% monitor white, even if the goal is
emulating "paper white". The main effect of a theme with large
amounts
of 100% monitor white would be eyestrain.

Ah, ok. Agreed then.
Even while any user serious about printing is likely to use a white
level as close as possible to her common paper stock white, it's still
a moving target.
But in my opinion the strongest argument against a too bright theme is
eyestrain.

It seems to me that the currently proposed five themes
(https://github.com/Draekko-RAND/gimp-themes) have a nice range of
tonality, from the very dark "Dark Side of GIMP" to the much lighter
"Light" theme, and it would be nice if GIMP provided all five themes
by
default.

Changing themes in Preferences is easy to do. Changing icons is also
easy to do.

Changing the canvas padding color -arguably more important than the
theme color - isn't so easy to do. Well, changing the color isn't
difficult, though it requires several mouse clicks to accomplish.
But
finding a previously used color isn't easy - the previously used
colors
keep disappearing and the little squares of remembered colors are
pretty
useless because they aren't color-managed.

It would be nice if there were a way to set up, keep, and quickly
choose
from a set of user-established canvas padding colors, independent of
choosing a theme or a set of icons (and hopefully someone will tell
me
this is already possible by doing XYZ . . . ).

Agreed. Personally I'd love to have a little switcher below in the
status bar, by the quickmask and zoom/units selectors.
A simple square would suffice. You click on it and it cycles between
black/middle gray/white (and maybe the background checkers colors too?
idk).