Re: [Gimp-gui] Force Toolbox Widgets To Bottom

Hi,

On 2015-10-15 18:58, Andrew Pullins wrote:
To make the Toolbox look better and more consistent with the rest
of
GIMP. I suggest that the "You can drop dockable dialogs here" be
dropped and the Toolbox Widgets be forced to the bottom leaving
room
for dialogs to be docked at the bottom of the tool box.

This label is not really needed as when users first start up GIMP
there is already a dialog underneath the toolbox so right off the
get
go they know that you can place dialogs here. If the user decides
take this dialog and place it anywhere else, now there is this
ugly
label telling them what they already know they can do. This may
even
be insulting to users, as you are saying they need a big banner
tell them how to use your software.

I'm sorry but there are no "insults" in having a label giving
information to user (what about status bar, tooltip bubbles, or help
button and doc pages! They all give information on how to use the
software, hence would be insulting? Seriously?). This is a
non-rational rhetorical method which one can indeed see in some bug
reports saying basically "if you don't do this change, then you are
insulting users, therefore you are assholes; so you have no choices
and do what I say". And I wish not to see this kind of things on
this mailing list, please.

I was not calling anyone an asshole or telling you that you have to do
what I say.  I am merely trying to point out some reasons that GIMP
should get rid of the label.

No problem there. Probably I should not have reacted myself, I was merely trying to make a point there about choosing some words wisely, because we see all kind of not very cool remarks in bug reports and saying that a help message can be seen as insulting users is one of these. A message can be useless, annoying, badly designed, or whatever like this. But "insulting" was just far fetched.

This said, you also make interesting remarks, so that's all good for me.

Jehan