Re: [Gimp-gui] Make the selected tool default to the Color Picker instead of the last tool used

On 11/09/2015 10:17 AM, Jehan wrote:
Hi,

On 2015-11-05 21:24, Elle Stone wrote:
I went into Preferences and put every possible tool in the toolbox and
checked to see what happens upon hovering over the image.

I've created this Wiki page where I reported your very helpful list:
http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Tools_generic_ui_workgroup

My proposition (basically yours too) is that every tool could
consistently have an icon (top-right of the cursor) unless they already
have a unique and recognizable icon. Also they should have status text,
as you note too.

I will pass this through Mitch to validate but I'm pretty sure he will
agree (or you can answer, if you read this, Mitch). This is quite simple
and straightforward but meaningful.

So now what we miss are the texts and the missing icons (which would
likely be nearly the same ones as the toolbox version, but monochrome).
See under cursors/ directory for style and size. Basically you will see
various icons like tool-*.png. Let's make the missing ones (like
tool-brightness-contrast.png, etc.).

On my default GIMP 2.9 installation, all the tools that were available to put in the toolbox already have icons, including the Brightness/Contrast tool. Maybe this varies from one theme to another? I'm using the default "Small" theme.

Also all the tools in the toolbox have text that appears when hovering over the tool icons in the toolbox. The existing text seems just fine for putting in the status bar. It would reduce the task of translators if the same text is used in both places, on hover over the tool and in the task bar.

Elle