Re: [Gimp-developer] Does it pay to be Open-Source?

Hi Anthony!

On Sat, 26 Sep 2020 19:47:29 +0000
Anthony Beaulé via gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list gnome org> wrote:

Hello GIMP developers,

One of the things I've been enjoying is trying to use less and less
proprietary software, and I've been thinking of becoming a developer for
quite some time now.

I really love the passion and effort that's put in these projects, yours
included, and I enjoy using them, but I can't say the same about creating my
own Open-Source software; at least financially.

I want to ask you people out of curiosity because this project has existed
for almost 25 years, and still going strong! Thus, I assume that you
developers would have a lot of experience working with at least this
Open-Source project.

So here goes:
Question 1:
What do I need to get started on making a project Open-Source? My guess is
just my source code, a list of all the dependencies my program uses, and an
account on a Git website (GitHub, or SourceForge are the two I know).

GitHub/etc. are called "forges" or software dev hubs:

*
https://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/software-tools/#all_in_one_proj_mgmt

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forge_%28software%29

Regarding best practices for software development see:

*
https://github.com/shlomif/Freenode-programming-channel-FAQ/blob/master/FAQ_with_ToC__generated.md#what-are-some-best-practices-in-programming-that-i-should-adopt

Question 2:
Can I still control or direct the program after I've posted it on a Git
website? I don't mind other using my code for other projects, as long as I'm
credited somewhere. I also don't mind it when people point-out flaws in my
programs either, I or my team (if I have one) just want to be the one to fix
it.

All free/open source licences gives one the right to fork:

* http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/magic-cauldron/ar01s08.html

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fork_(software_development)

* https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Free_Software_Definition

Question 3:
How do you make money off of Free software, and can you live off of it? I'm
also wondering how money is split in large groups like yours. As much as I'd
like to code Open-Source Software, I can't do it for free all the time as I'm
on a tight budget.

See https://github.com/nayafia/lemonade-stand ("nayafia/lemonade-stand: A handy
guide to financial support for open source"). Note that it is not guaranteed
that you'll make a lot of money, but then again it is not guaranteed with
non-FOSS either:
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=joel-test-12-steps-better-code-2
and
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour/fortunes/show.cgi?id=the-old-shareware-and-the-android-apps
.

Question 4:
How can you get your program recognised? It's one thing to code a cool
program, but if no one knows about it then it won't stand a chance. I'm
guessing the best thing is just advertise it on social media like everything
else nowadays.

Some people may also find it on search engines.

In conclusion, I'd love to be more educated in this topic as being
Open-Source is something that I find beautiful in a way, as even if a project
withers it's truly never dead and can bloom again in someone else's project.
I'd also love to make Open-Source projects, but I fear that it may be a waste
of time financially.

Here is what I think of many "waste of time" arguments:
https://www.shlomifish.org/humour.html#waste-time . If it brings you joy, it is
not waste.

Anyway, here is a somewhat more cynical look at managing a FOSS project:
https://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/44q1mb/what_have_we_learned_from_this_open_source_project/
. I have also written a tutorial for how to start contributing to FOSS:
https://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/open-source/how-to-start-contributing/tos-document.html

and there is this book as well:
http://teachingopensource.org/practical-oss-exploration/

Also see the other replies you have received too.

I'd love to hear from you.
~Anthony.B

Shlomi Fish       https://www.shlomifish.org/
https://youtu.be/KxGRhd_iWuE - Never Give Up!!