Re: [Gimp-developer] Does it pay to be Open-Source?

On 26/09/2020 21:47, Anthony Beaulé via gimp-developer-list wrote:
Hello GIMP developers,

One of the things I've been enjoying is trying to use less and less proprietary software, and I've been
thinking of becoming a developer for quite some time now.

I really love the passion and effort that's put in these projects, yours included, and I enjoy using them,
but I can't say the same about creating my own Open-Source software; at least financially.

I want to ask you people out of curiosity because this project has existed for almost 25 years, and still
going strong! Thus, I assume that you developers would have a lot of experience working with at least this
Open-Source project.

So here goes:
Question 1:
What do I need to get started on making a project Open-Source? My guess is just my source code, a list of all
the dependencies my program uses, and an account on a Git website (GitHub, or SourceForge are the two I know).

Readable and reliable code, some documentation, as well as implementing
nicely some non-trivial functionality. Otherwise it will take less time
for other folks to write their own.

Question 2:
Can I still control or direct the program after I've posted it on a Git website? I don't mind other using my
code for other projects, as long as I'm credited somewhere. I also don't mind it when people point-out flaws
in my programs either, I or my team (if I have one) just want to be the one to fix it.

You keep control if you demonstrate some ability and competence (or at
least more ability and competence than other project members). Linus
Torvalds has been in control of Linux for ages...

Question 3:
How do you make money off of Free software, and can you live off of it? I'm also wondering how money is split
in large groups like yours. As much as I'd like to code Open-Source Software, I can't do it for free all the
time as I'm on a tight budget.

If your software has a business use, you can sell support for it. Big
companies hate free software, they want someone to be accountable for
maintenance. Another solution is to have FOSS "Community" edition, and a
commercial "Pro" version with more features.  Otherwise, donations
(Patreon or else). I don't think there is so much money in the Gimp
project that the developers can split it between themselves. At best it
allows them to meet from time to time without paying all the  travel
expenses.

Question 4:
How can you get your program recognised? It's one thing to code a cool program, but if no one knows about it
then it won't stand a chance. I'm guessing the best thing is just advertise it on social media like
everything else nowadays.

Possibly. But not everyone is on social media (unless GitHub counts as
such :)

In conclusion, I'd love to be more educated in this topic as being Open-Source is something that I find
beautiful in a way, as even if a project withers it's truly never dead and can bloom again in someone else's
project. I'd also love to make Open-Source projects, but I fear that it may be a waste of time financially.

It will likely be so. People do FOSS because they want to write a good
program. Sometime things get out of hand and they eventually make money
from it... but it's not a frequent occurrence.