Re: [Gimp-developer] Is there any way to free Gimp memory and avoid restarting it?

On Wed, 6 Feb 2019 11:14:21 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:
On 2/5/19 5:35 PM, jEsuSdA 8) wrote:
El 2/2/19 a las 9:58, Ofnuts escribió:
The fact that the memory isn't marked free doesn't mean it is
unusable. Tried in Gimp 2.10 on Ubuntu:

- load 5 20MPx Jpegs: memory is 1.35GB

- close all: memory still at 1.35GB

- load them again: memory is 1.4GB

- close all: memory still at 1.4GB

- load them again: memory is 1.4GB

- close all: memory still at 1.4GB

So the memory seems reused...

I was thinking about your tests and the values seems to be a bit
strange: I mean, I you load 5 images and Gimp takes 1.35GB Memory, why
when you close all the images gimp still taking 1.35GB instead of less
than?

In the same way, if you load again the same images, why Gimp consumes
more memory and its memory consumption rises from 1.35 to 1.40... and,
again, when the images are closed the memory does not get back to a
lower value.

I think this values can corroborate my theory about Gimp lack of
memory release I suffer and which is absolutely needed when working in
professional environments.

Why Gimp does not free the memory?
Any idea?

If memory was truly leaked,  I would have seen 1.35, 2.7,
4.05... Since there is no significant memory increase, we can assume
that this memory is reused. For the rest, see Øyvind's answer.

It's possible that some memory was leaked, just not all of it.
--
Robert Krawitz                                     <rlk alum mit edu>

--Eric Crampton