Re: [Gimp-developer] Contribute to OSX-specific features and bug fixes

On 28 Mar 2018, at 15:27, Carmelo DrRaw <aferrero1975 gmail com> wrote:

I am using homebrew to install the dependencies, honestly I find it more practical than jhbuild.
When creating the bundle, the libraries installed via homebrew are included so that the bundle is
self-consistent.

I use jhbuild on the one hand because it was in place when I took over the work on the build and because I am
relatively familiar with it. On the other hand, it gives us full control over all versions of the
dependencies and patches to apply in an easy way (we simply use our own jhbuild moduleset with all details
and maintain this in the GIMP git repository). We do incorporate a number of patches to third-party modules
(glib, GTK+, and so not) that have not been accepted upstream and I foresee this will remain so in the future.

Travis provides MacOS build servers. The only issue is that the jobs are limited to 40 minutes, which are
obviously not enough to install all dependencies.
The solution I found is to do an incremental install of the homebrew packages via Travis itself, and save
the resulting homebrew tree as a tar package that is stored back on github.
For the final build, I simply fetch and extract the pre-packaged tar file, which provides me all the
required dependencies.

40 minutes is probably not enough. Sending around tarballs seems a bit hacky to me. I have another possible
option for a build server that I will try first.

thanks,

-kris.