Re: [Gimp-developer] Size on disk vs size reported on status bar

Le 04/10/2017 à 15:51, Elle Stone a écrit :
So a byte is 8 times a bit? For people like me who can never remember the difference between a byte and a bit, is there a one-sentence explanation for why there are bytes *and* bits?

Well letter 'i' is obviously more simple than letter y,
and its shape is dead sImple : that's a good hint.

So a possible one-sentence explanation :
A Y (as in byte) is much more complex a glyph thant a I (as in bit), 8 times more complex.

NOtice also that I glyph is very close in shape to 1
and 1 is the only possible bit value,
along with 0 that is none...

Sure one can create some nice one liner poetry.
JL