[Gimp-developer] compiler advantages

Sorry, more questions....

I had to use gcc-5 to compile a kernel, then I didn't re-symlink to gcc-6
and have been building gimp, gegl and babl with it since then.  With the
exception of openexr, everything seems to be building fine.

Is there an advantage to using gcc-6 instead of gcc-5?

And, a related question.  I don't know why openexr started to give me
problems.   When I look into the problems, I am going to start with libtiff
(like, maybe it *needed* that pixar-log stuff or libtiff++).  What do I
loose not having openexr available to gegl and gimp?

Thanks,
carol