Re: [Gimp-developer] New GIMP configure warning/error

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 2:49 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine <
alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:

On Thu, May 11, 2017 at 9:34 PM, Partha Bagchi wrote:

I am perplexed to see that we need glib-networking suddenly since my git
pull from a couple of days ago? Is there a reason to requiring glib
networking support?

To quote from https://git.gnome.org/browse/gimp/commit/?id=
bb196607693b2a8fa95f033966506cbf3c377d81

"Use a code test inspired by libsoup configure test. This is a hard
dependency because HTTPS should not be considered an option anymore.
Nowadays most websites will use HTTPS by default, HTTP gives SEO
penalties and browsers are starting to display various security
warnings on HTTP websites. Also the experience will be significantly
degraded without SSL/TLS support since the help browser will fail to
load the manual remotely, and opening various remote files on secure
protocols will fail. Note: the test cannot be performed while
cross-compiling. In this case, we will just display a warning for
packagers to be at least well aware of this dependency."

Alex

Yes, I read the quote but am still perplexed. the only (?) place we need
http/https support is to load images from an URI? Is it not sufficient to
make that optional instead of introducing one more dependency?