Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP 2.9 XCF files and digiKam, gnome file browsers, etc

On Tue, 2016-03-15 at 13:18 -0400, Elle Stone wrote:
On 03/15/2016 10:51 AM, Kevin Payne wrote:

A very quick bit of rummaging round in source code leads me to
libgimpthumb\gimpthumb-utils.c

Where it shows a fall-back if the thumbnails directory cannot be
created - it uses the tmp dir instead.

Kevin
Hmm,
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/thumbnail-spec/thumbnail-spec-
latest.html#DIRECTORY
says the "normal" place for the thumbnail directory is
$XDG_CACHE_HOME/thumbnails/ and the "normal" location for
$XDG_CACHE_HOME is /$HOME/.cache.

For whatever reason on my computer $XDG_CACHE_HOME is set to
/tmp/elle/.cache. So that's probably why GIMP is writing thumbnails
the tmp folder.

You should fix that. Whatever is setting your XDG_CACHE_GOME to
/tmp/something is doing so wrongly, or at least not sanely :)

If I start GIMP by adding the line:

export XDG_CACHE_HOME=/home/elle/.cache

then GIMP saves thumbnails to /home/elle/.cache/thumbnails.

The thumbnail contains information that points to the corresponding
XCF
file, for example:

Description : Thumbnail of
file:///home/elle/edit/digiKam/working/080810-2252-1855-house-
rainbow.xcf
Software : GIMP 2.9.3
Thumb URI :
file:///home/elle/edit/digiKam/working/080810-2252-1855-house-
rainbow.xcf

digiKam doesn't offer the option of adding a hidden folder to the
database.

Copying the thumbnail folder to a folder that digiKam monitors and
trying to open the correspoinding XCF file by opening the the
thumbnail
just opens the thumbnail itself, not the XCF file.

Are there any image/file browsers that can use the uri location
information in the thumbnail to open the corresponding XCF file
rather
than the actual thumbnail png?

I mean besides Nautilus. I don't want to install Nautilus on my
computer
as it would mean making considerable changes to my Gentoo
installation.

We use the folders specified in the freedektop thumbnail
managing spec, that's not going to change. You should file
bugs against desktop components that don't follow the
standard.

As an aside,
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-late
st.html
says $XDG_CACHE_HOME is for "user-specific non-essential (cached)
data".

It seems to me that the thumbnails that make it possible to browse
one's
XCF files don't count as "non-essential". As it is, for the
thumbnails
to be useful I'd have to use GIMP to recreate thumbnails for the 500
or
so XCF files currently indexed by digiKam, and that would take an
enormouse amount of time to accomplish.

Thumbnails are by definition non-essential because they can be
recreated, and that's why they live in ~/.cache, you only need
to make sure your cache is at the persistent default location.

Thumbnail browsing is at best a temporary and fragile workaround for
using an image DAM software like digiKam, that can make its own
thumbnails (except for GIMP 2.9 XCF files), or at least can read a
thumbnail already embedded in the image file.

Are GIMP 2.9 XCF files saved to disk with embedded thumbnails?

That's on the TODO, but there are so many things on the TODO...

Regards,
--Mitch