From: gimp-developer-list <gimp-developer-list-bounces gnome org> on behalf of Elle Stone <ellestone
ninedegreesbelow com>
Sent: 15 March 2016 13:42
To: Michael Natterer; Gimp-developer
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] GIMP 2.9 XCF files and digiKam, gnome file browsers, etc

On 01/04/2016 04:39 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:
On Mon, 2016-01-04 at 14:13 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:
On 01/03/2016 06:41 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:
On Sun, 2016-01-03 at 17:53 -0500, Elle Stone wrote:
Does anyone know of *any* image viewer that can display a
thumbnail
for
GIMP 2.9 XCF files?

I don't know, but they should at least show the thumbnails
created by GIMP. I hope that works across apps, it does work
in nautilus.

--Mitch

By "thumbnails" do you mean thumbnails created by Nautilus? or
thumbnails created by GIMP and put in a hidden folder in the user's
home
folder (assuming the user has chosen in Preferences/System Resources
actually save Image Thumbnails)?

I meant thumbnails created by GIMP, which uses the same standard
folders as nautilus, so nautilus should show them.

I just asked GIMP to create some new thumbnails of GIMP XCF files. But I
haven't been able to locate them using the Dolphin file browser.

Where are the GIMP thumbnails stored? And what's the file extension? As
far as I can tell, GIMP 2.9/2.10 seems to "forget" about whatever
thumbnails it creates just as soon as GIMP is closed. Is there a setting
in Preferences that needs to be (re)set? Is it the Document History" option?

I don't know what folders Nautilus uses and I'm not willing to install
Nautilus to find out. But if GIMP creates thumbnails (pngs?) and puts
them in a specific folder, I can ask digiKam to monitor that folder. Or
rather maybe I can copy the thumbnails over to the folders where I keep
the XCF files.

Best,
Elle