Re: [Gimp-developer] Segmentation fault during make triggered by Symbolic 64 gimp-texture.png

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 2:59 PM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
On 06/27/2016 08:08 AM, Shlomi Fish wrote:

On my Mageia Linux v6 x86-64 system with up-to-date GIMP git repo ( commit
5ca2794d400d9fe09afabc9bdee77520a61bc82a ) with babl, gegl and libmypaint
installed from up-to-date git - all unpatched, then "make" completes fine.

That put aside, "make check" fails.

I also haven't had a problem with default GIMP not compiling because of the
pngs in the icons folder, so I was very hesitant to report that my patched
GIMP seg-faulted upon reaching the grayscale pngs.

However:
(1)The png on which "make" failed is not like the other symbolic theme pngs,
being a grayscale png.
(2)Changing the grayscale pngs to match all the other RGB with alpha channel
pngs allowed "make" to finish.

Which suggests that perhaps the two grayscale pngs were really supposed to
be RGB with alpha channel pngs, to match all the other pngs in the icons
folder.

I know a lot of work has been done to make the new symbolic themes, so I
though it was best to go ahead and mention the two grayscale pngs.

Yes, you do good by reporting any issue.

I cann see these 2 images are indeed in grayscale whereas others are
RGB. This said, symbolic icons are all actual grayscale images, so
actually the fact that most files are RGB is likely more an error than
these 2 being grayscale.

Also you say `make` segfaults. What is the exact error? Could you
paste the build logs somewhere?
The only thing we build regarding these symbolic images are the
inverted versions, which we make through a call to gegl. Therefore, I
would imagine that what segfaults is the gegl call on these images
(assumption which could be confirmed, or not, with your build log).

Does this command segfault:
$ gegl ./icons/Symbolic/64/gimp-texture.png -o bla.png -- gegl:invert-gamma
(on success it will create a bla.png, inverted from gimp-texture.png.
You can delete bla.png after)

If it indeed segfaults, you may have a problem with your GEGL binary
(or some op) more annoying that a bug in GIMP build.
If that's not it, then I'll just wait for your logs. :-)

Jehan

Best,
Elle