Re: [Gimp-developer] Cubic Interpolation vs No Halo

On Wed, 2016-04-27 at 09:03 +0100, C R wrote:
I assume the reasoning behind using cubic as the default for all the
scale
and transform tools is to cut back on the complaints of how slow GIMP
is at
the moment, but the quality loss in the current cubic interpolation
algorithm is quite bad.

It depends on what you're doing - in some cases Cubic gives better
results. In addition nohalo and lohalo can take several minutes to
scale an image.

You can change the default tool option in preferences/tool options.

Also, it's probably safe to assume that if the user chooses an
interpolation type in the tool, they are saying something about the
quality of the results they are after vs speed. I think setting the
value in one tool should set the value automatically in other tools,
and treat it as a "global" value of sorts.

I'd rather see it moved out of tool options and into preferences with a
single setting in that case. In practice I fairly often copy a small
section of an image and experiment with a cobination of blur and
different downsizing algorithms. In addition, more upscaling options
would be good, maybe after 2.10 - waifu2x, if unencumbered, would be a
good candidate. So I think having the algorithm choice right there in
scale image makes experimentation easier, and helps people dscover the
option.

So maybe a preference to say the default would be good. And hey! there
is one :-)

Liam

--
Liam R. E. Quin <liam holoweb net>