Re: [Gimp-developer] Portable development environment for GIMP

On 10/03/2015 04:03 AM, Liam R E Quin wrote:

[...] but for the people who don't realize that there's a single
command that will automatically download and install all those 100
build requires Sam mentioned :) maybe Fedora, Mageia or Ubuntu would
be better.

If I got it right, the idea of vagrant is that all the packages you'll
need will be installed as part of the VM creation/startup.

NB: if it is intended for development that is going to be contributed
upstream, there should also be a step that makes them set up Git
correctly - by asking for their name and an email address they want to
see published with their commits.

And a Git alias for anonymous access to git.gnome.org might already be
set up as well.

For a VM I'm not sure it matters much what is used, although it
takes me a day or two to download a Linux distribution here at speeds
of up to 1.5Mbps so a lightweight distribution would seem to be a win.

I'm pretty sure that Debian can fullfill that - if we don't blow it up
artificially, for example by adding desktop environments with many
additional dependencies.

Also, if there are multiple pre-made images to choose from, we could
either pick a really bare one, or one that has most of the dependencies
installed already (the whole of GTK+, for example).

But, given that for me it's almost always been a matter of git clone
of 3 packages, and running autogen.sh and make install on each of
them with a prefix, I'm probably not in the target audience.

Defining the target audience and their expected use would be important,
I think. For example, do we expect people to keep this VM around for an
extended period of time, or would they get it, do some quick
development, and then get rid of the VM again?

--
Regards,
Michael