Re: [Gimp-developer] Portable development environment for GIMP

On Tue, 29 Sep 2015 22:48:39 +0200 Jehan Pagès <jehan marmottard gmail com> wrote:

Actually not all core devs. Over time, I have built GIMP on Mageia,
Linux Mint (based on Ubuntu), and now Fedora. Though it is true that
at times, I happened sometimes to be forced to build more dependencies
than just babl and GEGL on Mageia or Mint, I believe my only built
dependencies on Fedora 22 are babl and GEGL (and Fedora 23 is out very
soon, I heard). I even see that there are babl 0.1.12 and GEGL 0.3
available in official Fedora repo, allowing to even build GIMP alone
if you want to.

Yes, same versions of gegl and bal are in Mageia 5 too, although I build them from git anyway.

The difficulties of using Debian Testing are likely to outweigh any benefits, plus anyone working closely
with git gimp is likely to want to test fixes to babl and/or gegl as they happen.

Liam