Re: [Gimp-developer] Portable development environment for GIMP

On Wed, 30 Sep 2015 23:36:02 -0300 Gez <listas ohweb com ar> wrote:

El mié, 30-09-2015 a las 23:49 +0200, Michael Natterer escribió:
I hope that nobody uses debian testing, the most unstable of
all debians :)

Sore feelings after the gcc-5 migration? :-)

More to the point for GIMP development, both Debian and Gentoo (also mentioned) are distributions that aim
for a certain amount of systems administration knowledge from their users - e.g. the ability to edit a
text-based configuration file now and again. It's fine for experienced developers and system administrators,
and for keen hobbyists too :), but for the people who don't realize that there's a single command that will
automatically download and install all those 100 build requires Sam mentioned :) maybe Fedora, Mageia or
Ubuntu would be better.

For a VM I'm not sure it matters much what is used, although it takes me a day or two to download a Linux
distribution here at speeds of up to 1.5Mbps so a lightweight distribution would seem to be a win.

But, given that for me it's almost always been a matter of git clone of 3 packages, and running autogen.sh
and make install on each of them with a prefix, I'm probably not in the target audience. In addition, people
*not* running Debian and who needed to install additional software in the VM would need to learn a 2nd
package management system, so the VM approach may be good for introducing people to the git version of gimp
but not so good for longer term use. But hey, introducing people to development is a good thing.