Re: [Gimp-developer] SGO to WGO Transition

On 11/23/2015 12:06 PM, Pat David wrote:
On Fri, Nov 20, 2015 at 3:18 PM Elle Stone

    All pages: The site requires javascript enabled to display the icons at
    the bottom of the page. Otherwise, except for the GIMP icon, the icons
    are just place-holders.
           Some people consider scripts to be a security risk. Is there
    a way
    to make the icons at the bottom of the page display without requiring
    the user to enable scripts?

The site does NOT requite JS to show the icons in the footer.  You are
likely using an extension to block scripts in your browser (noscript?).
If this is the case, you'll need to examine your settings to understand
what is happening, which is that you're actually blocking the fonts
(which those icons are packaged as).

So yes, you can easily view the icons in the footer without scripts
running (try turning off just javascript and you'll see).

Javascript and "objects":

Hmm, you might be right about "just disabling javascript" and leaving everything else allowed. However, I don't just block javascript when I browse the web. Other stuff, including "objects", which includes the downloaded fonts, is also blocked.

I suspect most people running noscript/etc block "objects" as well as scripts.

On older/slower/low-ram computers, blocking "stuff" is not just a security issue - it's also just about necessary to be able to browse the internet at all.

Nice fonts are nice to see. But downloading fonts and such from another location to the user's computer does add to the weight and download speed of a page, and as "objects" they are going to be perceived as "not good" by security-conscious people.

Checking other browsers that aren't using Noscript/etc:

I checked using some other browsers and still don't see the icons.

Here's a screenshot of what I see in four different browsers - top to bottom the browsers are Rekonq, Konqueror, Opera, and Firefox:

http://ninedegreesbelow.com/bug-reports/gimp-site/rekonq-konqueror-opera-firefox-screenshot.jpg

I don't use Rekonq, Konqueror, or Opera except for testing to see how websites render. So I'm not sure what settings they are using.

I did check the Rekonq browser preferences. Rekonq was set up to allow scripting and was probably more or less "default as set up by KDE". So I don't know why the icons and images aren't showing up - the line drawing, and the DTP images showed up, but not the image at the top or the nice images for the photo editing/painting/etc. Konqueror also failed to load some of the images.

As an aside, on my computer the page loading speed is very slow today, even considering my "not fast" internet connection. For example, just now it took 29 seconds to completely load the GIMP "about" page. Sometimes pages actually timed out with Rekonq and Konquerer. As reference, other websites don't seem to be taking any longer than normal.

Best,
Elle