Re: [Gimp-developer] WGO Transition Meeting

Hi,

On Sat, Nov 14, 2015 at 7:37 PM, Chris Moller <moller mollerware com> wrote:
At least as of the time I left Red Hat 5 years ago, they used an RPM-based
system just like Fedora; I'm reasonably sure they still do.

The potential down-side of trying to maintain a GIMP-for-RHEL is that
packages included in RHEL are usually a little older than the most current
versions.

We don't maintain packages for any specific distribution. But we can
still advertize how to install these when they exist. And I would
guess Redhat has such a package for GIMP.

While I'm here, regarding automatic distribution detection, it would be
useful to have a fairly obvious way to show and download any GIMP release,
regardless of what distro you're using at the moment.  I do remote
maintenance on a dozen or so machines at different Fedora release levels,
32-bit and 64-bit, It would be very useful to be able to just pick which
GIMP I need.

This is something which is coming with xdg-app. See for instance this
blog post (which actually proposes already some nightly for GIMP as a
demo):
https://blogs.gnome.org/alexl/2015/10/06/nightly-devel-builds-using-xdg-app/

When such technology is stable enough, we should be able to propose
real distro-independent packages for GIMP (which are not ugly binaries
in tarball to uncompress in a dirty way without any desktop
integration).

Jehan

--Chris Moller