Re: [Gimp-developer] rollApp GIMP usage

Hi

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 11:36 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine
<alexandre prokoudine gmail com> wrote:
On Sun, May 24, 2015 at 7:43 AM, Brittany Powalowski wrote:
The mobile company rollApp has made a GIMP, avaiable to mobile users
(tablets, chromebooks, etc). I am unsure if you are aware of this before
hand or not,

We are :)

but I feel one of their actions in USING the program is unjust. They will
not allow a user to save their work, using your program, which is
supposed to be free, without paying THEM $6.99 a month!

Unjust? Maybe. Legit? Absolutely.

I am very well aware there is quite possibly nothing you can do about
their practices, but, I felt perhaps if it was unknown, it should be exposed,
that they are trying to earn money off a program, that essentially is not theirs.

There is no problem with that whatsoever. They are entitled to.
Anybody, including you, is.

What _I_ personally see as a problem with rollApp is that:

1. Last time i checked (a while ago, admittedly) they were providing
badly out of date copies of GIMP and Inkscape.

2. They did not adapt either of the two application to specifics of
mobile devices, which means they are providing substandard service to
their customers while retaining the GIMP and Inkscape branding. Now
_that_ seems unjust.

It also appears as they have code modification, for instance to forbid
saving to users.
Of course this is not an interesting code change, but what may be
interesting is any change they did to have GIMP build on Android (as I
understand that's for Android devices). Note that I never tried to
build GIMP for Android, but I imagine it may not work out of the box,
in which case it means they patched it.
Maybe it could be of some use? Though as you say, if they use outdated
versions of GIMP, this may not be very useful (I doubt it even).

In any case, GIMP being GPL, it is their duty to provide their user
the source code upon demand. It could be just a link to the official
website if they had not modified it, but since they obviously did,
they can't go away with it. This means that any user who actually use
GIMP through their download is entitled to ask them the source code of
their modifications, and they are legally not allowed to refuse it.

Maybe it could be worth asking it if you are a user of this Android
version, and then send it to us.
Of course, as I said, I am absolutely not sure that it would be of any
use to us, but well…

Jehan

Alex