Re: [Gimp-developer] Sourceforge downloads

Hi,

On Tue, May 26, 2015 at 5:22 PM, Joao S. O. Bueno <gwidion gmail com> wrote:
On 26 May 2015 at 12:08, Jernej Simončič <jernej ena si> wrote:
On Tuesday, May 26, 2015, 8:40:08, Ofnuts wrote:

Should this site be closed down entirely (assuming it is still under the
control of someone related to Gimp development)? There are still plenty
of links pointing to it, and it would be better for them to be invalid
instead of pointing to this crap?

SourceForge has taken the gimp-win project control away from me
(apparently due to inactivity, although they haven't done anything
like that with a few other inactive projects I'm a member of), and so
far they haven't responded to the message I sent them to cease the
distribution of the installer.

Eeeeeek!

Wow. I'm seeing a few 2.8.14 downloads (a tar.bz2 and a .exe) in
there, from September of 2014, hence *after* we said we would not use
Sourceforge anymore and have all the installers on our servers (and
bittorrent). Are we saying that while taking over the account,
Sourceforge created its own archives of GIMP for Windows?

That is quite a nasty scenario- we have the former project host to
have apropriated itself
of being the target of download links to actively distribute malware with
GIMP brand.

I think that if some (not many) communication attempts go unresponded this is an
issue where we should tap on  Gnome Foundation and check whether there
are legal resources we can lay hand on to get them to stop it

Yes if that is what I understand, this is clearly an impersonation of
the official GIMP team. The GPL license allows anyone to do forks of
GIMP, or do alternative packages. But that does not give them the
right to pretend to be the official upstream (which is clearly what is
happening). And if they install something else, they are also using
the brand name of GIMP to install other stuff (malwares? adware?),
which is clearly not acceptable either.

If we could clarify what is happening and if the GNOME foundation can
indeed help, this would be good.

Jehan

   js
  -><-