Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp in private schools and educational institutions

On 15 April 2015 at 05:40, Simon Budig <simon budig de> wrote:
Gez (listas ohweb com ar) wrote:
[...] optional patch
that provides and easy way to remove the name GIMP from the UI,
replacing it for a different one?

Now, seriously. What do devs think about this idea? If somebody provided
a good patch for building GIMP easily with a different name as an
option, would you accept that patch?

No. It would only play into the hands we already have with fake
packagers who sell Gimp without mentioning the Gimp brand name and
without mentioning that Gimp is available for free as well.

Indeed -
Mr. Bagot -
I think the best approach you have is write the Software name in full
in all possible instances
(e-mails, documents, letters, etc...) - just write "GNU Image
Manipulation Program" - and leave
the acronym as if it did not exist in all written documents.

In my experience, name connotations are a matter os perception, and
many times it just hit
us in certain contexts - and may not bother our neighbors at all. For
example, it was only when phrasing this
paragraph I stopped to think about the sound of your last name would
have in my native language, and the possible
linked connotations - but just because I forced myself to think into
it in this context. Just as I don expect a full
400 million Spanish speakers to think of me as a "good" person.

Best regards,

   js
 -><-

Bye,