Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] Time to fork BABL and GEGL

On Thu, Nov 20, 2014 at 9:42 AM, Elle Stone
<ellestone ninedegreesbelow com> wrote:
Using unbounded sRGB as a universal color space for image editing is a
really bad idea

There has been no plan for using unbounded sRGB as a universal color
space in GEGL, not since the introduction of a target-space in April
in the plans, these days called userRGB in the discussion.

The roadmap is a plan for how to achieve these things as smoothly and
with as little unexpected work as possible. If someone has been
working on the babl part of that roadmap and have a version of babl
with the planned capabilities (I don't). It would be possible to use
that new babl with current GEGL without the behavior of GEGL changing.
Then the GEGL side of the work will start, first moving defintely
chromaticity dependent ops to userRGB, as well as some chromaticity
independent ops, it is also likely that *some* operations/tasks
continue using the PCS, which is also a linear RGB, the user of an
application like GIMP would neither know or be affected – this is what
we are stating will be an implementation detail.

The roadmap as planned is a roadmap for babl, which includes some bits
about changes in GEGL. The changes in GIMP, following things changing
in babl and GEGL are, like the details of decisions we will be making
in the GEGL stages, out of scope for planning how we add the needed
capabilities to babl.

/pippin