Re: [Gimp-developer] [Gimp-user] Time to fork BABL and GEGL

On Mon, Nov 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM, Gez <listas ohweb com ar> wrote:
If chromaticity independent RGB operations request for bablRGB or
userRGB doesn't seem a mere implementation detail. I think it's a valid
question to ask why requesting for bablRGB when the mechanism for
userRGB will be available.

Could you please address that question with a straight answer?

It's very likely that the processing will happen in userRGB for
performance reasons.

Nobody wants to give you a straight answer because to be honest, we
don't know for sure. We could change our mind at any point in the
future, and you wouldn't know without reading the code. It doesn't
matter what space they happen in because chromaticity independent
operations, by definition, do not care which of the spaces we pass
them. If we do find a compelling reason to have those operations
happen in bablRGB (performance or numerical stability, for example),
then we reserve the right to do those operations in bablRGB. And if we
do, then nobody will ever know the difference, other than the whopping
three people that will ever read that section of the gegl code.

Now, please explain this to me with a straight answer: Why is it so
insanely important to know what color space an operation happens in,
in a situation where it *by definition* does not matter, that you are
willing to waste hours of your time and hours of developers' time
arguing about it?

  -- drawoc